Saturday, February 27, 2010

On Alki

This morning, Carol & I were taking a short stroll on Alki before I drove her to the airport for a week's business travel. There, we met a seal-watcher. She was calling in a seal that was lying on the rocks just below the deck where we stood. We were no more than 30 feet away from this one. It was tan-colored. She said that was the color of juveniles, but this one looked like it was at least a young adult. It was not in distress. If anything, it looked like it was trying to find someplace to take a snooze, and perhaps to get away from the divers who were in the coves today.

We also discussed the juvenile eagle that's been hanging around Alki. On Thursday evening, as I was riding past Salty's, my eye was caught by the seeming disproportion of a crow that was landing to take a drink from a puddle that had formed at the intersection of Harbor Drive and Fairmount. It took me a moment to realize this was no crow. I stopped right across from the eagle, no more than 15 feet away. It took flight again as cars approached in the opposite lane, and roosted in a nearby tree. I could think of no more appropriate word for it than the most common: it was majestic.

What a gift.

No comments: