Saturday, February 27, 2010

Ride

I am waiting for you, Vizzini. You told me to go back to the beginning. So I have. This is where I am, and this is where I’ll stay. I will not be moved.
So says a drunk and far-fallen Inigo Montoya when he is found by his giant friend and co-kidnapper Fezzik (now gainfully employed in the brute squad).

When things go wrong, you go back to the beginning.

And so, I've gone back to the beginning. I've again made riding pretty much the center of my life. All my projects that have ended up stalled and half done -- frame-building, mechanics, getting into the bike business, bike advocacy -- I've put them aside. Now the measure of my day is how long and how well I ride. Riding keeps me sane and healthy, and I can't afford to have it pushed off-center by all these other things. I've ridden every day since Thanksgiving (on the trainer, if not outside).

And it's a great weekend for riding. Today, maybe Vashon Island in the afternoon. Tomorrow, maybe parts of the Chuckanut Century route in Bellingham. I'm coming off a cold, and am a little weak, so this may be ambitious.

Anyway, I hope you all get a chance to get out this weekend.

2 comments:

Ted Diamond said...

OK, it's raining, so, maybe today is another day on the trainer. But tomorrow? Tomorrow's gonna be great!!!!

Phil Evans said...

Well said. Like Eddie's "ride lots".

It's supposed to be ~60 degrees tomorrow--the knickers can take a much needed ride in the washing machine, and the shorts come out!