Saturday, February 5, 2011

Everything I Thought I Knew About Tires Is Wrong

Wow.

Especially painful is reading that my hard-earned intuition that high-TPI tires are more puncture-resistant than low-TPI tires is WRONG WRONG WRONG. I was convinced this was true, and had based that conviction on personal experience.

Of course, the assertion that TPI is inversely correlated with puncture resistance is, ceteris paribus, inversely correlated with puncture resistance, does not necessarily contradict the observation that high TPI tires are more puncture resistant, since ceteris are not paribus.

Still

1 comment:

Kevin Connors said...

So what these Finns are saying is that if I replace my 23's with 26's and get some latex tubes, I'll be 15% faster! Awesome, I'm off to the bike store! I don't know if they sell 'tyres' though, maybe I have to get them in Finland...