Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Replacing worn out stuff: Pinarello Paris.

In preparing for the upcoming road season I am replacing all the stuff that gets worn out or makes noise or is just dangerous on the Pinarello.

Cables and brake pads - easy and standard ~50 dollars and a couple hours.

The BB had me worried as I have taken it to a couple shops and they gave me a blank look.
I dove in to the BB project myself a couple days ago. This BB was created after someone thought up BB30 but before they had actually created the parts. It is basically 2 bearings pressfit into the frame and then two aluminum CNC'd adapters to match the spindle of the crank.

I recently noticed a little bump in my steering and realized my headset has outlived its usefulness. This bump probably didn't help when I crashed on a bus tunnel grate a couple days ago. GRRR. This project really scared me, as it turns out it is basically 2 bearings pressfit into the frame, the bore just happens to match the size of the steertube.

Here is the best part. How much would you expect to pay for a replacement pinarello headset and BB? 100? 200? Way off. All four of the bearings mentioned above are the same size. All readily available. I got 4 for 30 dollars, shipped, thanks ebay!. I created my own bearing press fit tool out of a threaded rod, some nuts and some washers.

7 comments:

Ted Diamond said...

Damn! Very nice!

Ted Diamond said...

But, you know, in this new BB30 world,there's little place for people with my impressive thread-stripping skills. I am a dinosaur.

Mike on Bike said...

Hi, my F4:13's headset bearings also need to be replaced. This is what 1 year (4000 miles) of bike commuting has done. I've extended their life with Triflow but they're acting up again. Can you expand on your DIY press tool?

Chad said...

What I did was take a threaded rod with nuts to match it. This was borrowed from a spring compression tool. Like this: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=3980

I took a couple of impact sockets that were the same size as the bearing minus 2-3mm and put washers on the side where the nut goes. I imagine the washers would work alone.

As I was writing this I remembered I had seen this: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-a-bike-headset-press-&-install-a-heads/

Just make sure the bearings fit on the steertube first, the tolerances could make them difficult.

Dave said...

Chad, just came across your post. i am looking to replace the headset bearings in my Paris. Could you tell me the bearing you used. Spec, Size etc. Thanks

Chad said...

Oh man, that pinarello!

Luckily I still have it and will check out the specs on the headset when I get home. Look through the blog to find my story about how that frame lives on the wall in my garage. :(

I might even have some of the bearings sitting around that I never put in before its demise.

Chad said...

I finally took a look at the old, sad Pinarello. The bearings for the headset are 6806RS.

Others have attempted this same DIY job here: http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-176565.html

and many other places I have found.