Thursday, June 19, 2008

An Act of Kindness

My thanks to Kris Jensen, Attorney At Law, who saw me walking along 1st Ave. in Sodo today with bike slung over shoulder, and gave me a ride all the way into work. Turns out Kris works down the block from me, and in the past, he'd commute from Burien to downtown.

So, how did I come to be walking instead of riding? Last Sunday, I put finished putting together an old wheel for which I'd ordered a freehub replacement (the old freehub pawls weren't catching). As I was putting the wheel together, I noticed one of the axle cones was very pitted. "Oh well," I thought to myself, not wanting to wait til I obtained a replacement cone, "now I'll see how far I can get with a pitted cone."

Now I know. Not far. Fourth day in, the bearings seized.

My thanks again to Kris for his act of kindness. I hope to encounter him on the road again, this time with me, at least, on a bike.

No comments: