Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Be Careful Out There

I'm old enough to have been a fan of Hill Street Blues, the grand-daddy of post-70's gritty neo-realistic cop shows on TV. A signature moment of each episode was when Sgt. Phil Esterhaus would end the roll-call with the exhortation "Let's be careful out there."

Today's cyclingnews.com round-up includes this soul-deadening piece:
Three cyclists descending down a winding road on a training ride Sunday morning near Cupertino, California were struck by a Santa Clara County sheriff's patrol vehicle that had briefly crossed the centreline while traveling in the opposite direction. Two of the cyclists, identified by the San Jose Mercury News as Matt Peterson, 30, of San Francisco, and Kristy Gough, 31, of Oakland, died from their injuries - Peterson on the scene and Gough hours later after being airlifted to Stanford University Medical Center.
I don't know these people, and this incident happened hundreds of miles away. I suppose if I were right in the head, this story would have no more impact on me than any other story of people dying.

But I'm not right in the head. I seem to get caught up in stories of tragic death of remarkable people. Maybe it's the Greek mother in me.

A teammate of Kristy Gough recounts of the fast-rising phenomenon:
In the Snelling Road Race, she had gone out solo and had a huge gap after the first lap but felt bad about the other girls so slowed up and only won by like 12 minutes!
I think that's remarkable.

When we go out, whether it's to race, train, commute, run errands, or ride for the fun of it, we always expect to come back. Sometimes we don't.

Be careful out there.

No comments: