Wednesday, December 5, 2012

My Bike Was Stolen...Until It Wasn't

I was downtown this evening, getting a replacement phone (I ran mine through the washer). I locked my bike to a bike rack near where I was going. When I finished and went back...no bike. No lock. No nuthin'.

I had the adrenaline rush of panic. It's been a very long time since one of my bikes was stolen. Immediately, I started mentally tallying the damage. It was an old low-end Bianchi steel frame, well-scuffed. Cheap steel fork. Sora shifters (yes, Sora), old 105/Ultegra derailleurs, 105 Octalink crank & BB, Eggbeater 2 pedals, and basic (Tiagra hubs, Alex DM18 rims, Sapim straight spokes) self-built wheels. Durano Plus tires. All in all, not a staggering loss, monetarily.

Oh, but I loved this bike. This is the bike I used for the Passport to Pain. More than that, it just feels right, like it wants to be ridden. Cheap components, but they all work happily with each other. If this bike were a dog, it would be a chocolate Lab. Ever-ready, always happy.

As I stood there with these thoughts running through my head, I happened to glance inside the nearby Jimmy John's, and saw a bike by the counter. A large-framed bike. Minimal, aggressive, and rather cool-looking. My bike.

It turns out the guys at JJ's took my bike, along with the rack it was locked to, and carried it inside. I suppose maybe they did this because the rack was not a public rack, and this was a way of getting my attention. That, they did. But, no matter. I am just so happy the bike was not stolen. Because I love this bike!

I hope your day was as good as mine.

7 comments:

Andrew said...

Hi Ted, I'm very glad to hear your bike was not stolen! This must be the Jimmy John's right next to Nordstrom, across from Pacific Place. I was just about to lock my bike to their bike rack out front, when they told me they were about to bring the rack inside, and any bikes attached to it would go in also. I wish they would ask the City to add a couple of real bike racks out front, rather than put this out there as if it's a full-time public service!

Rodrick Megraw said...

The best part of Ted's story is admiring the bike, then realizing it's his :-) I'll bet he really enjoyed that ride home.

Kevin Connors said...

I'll bet that ride home was FAST! Glad you didn't loose it Ted.

Nic Pottier said...

Phew!

.. but what is this talk of "not a public rack"? What kind of person would put out a bike rack then get mad when someone locks up a bike to it.

Did you talk to them, what was the story?

P Evans said...

The rack at front of the Jimmy John's on Pill Hill has some sort of warning on it, like "non delivery bikes will be turned into sandwich filling". I'm paraphrasing here...

Andrew said...

Hi Nic, I was just about to lock my bike to this rack on the sidewalk, that had no sign, and an employee came out and asked if I was going to be back in less than a few minutes... because they were going to bring the rack inside, along with any bikes attached to it. They weren't mad, or mean -- but I was embarrassed, for some reason, and also a little mystified. If they had closed while I was gone -- that would have been un-fun when I returned!

Barb Chamberlain said...

Hmm... They're using public right-of-way on the sidewalk for a bike rack that isn't public? Or maybe it's on their property. Either way, it's a customer relations question they may want to think about.

Citizens can submit requests for rack installation: http://www.seattle.gov/transportation/bikeracks.htm