Thursday, September 2, 2010

WWCD?

What would Chad do? It's my new mantra.

Last weekend, I rode to Port Townsend to meet Carol, who was on a mini-cation (which included riding up Mt. Constitution on Orcas one day, and hiking it the next day). Fifty five miles, maybe, against a moderate-to-strong headwind, and moderately hilly. Next morning, I was planning to ride back to Seattle from PT, hoping to take advantage of a tailwind. Before breakfast, the wind was coming from the north. Perfect.

After breakfast, I checked again, and the wind was now coming from the south, a harbinger of the storm system that was to move in this week.

I thought about doing another 60 miles alone against the wind. On hills. Over the Hood Canal Bridge.

I punted, and rode home in the car with Carol, instead.

To be sure, part of the reason I chose to ride in the car was that I wanted to spend time with Carol at a time when I was more relaxed and optimistic than I have been in awhile.

But part of it was also because I am a wuss.

What would Chad do? He would have ridden that second day, and probably would have gone out of his way to get more miles and steeper hills.

As would Nic, Kevin, Vaughn...none of you would have given that second day's ride a second thought.

So, from now on, when I find myself vacillating about riding, I'll ask myself.

What would Chad do?

3 comments:

Phil Evans said...

I tried to get some stickers made a few years ago (in Moltini orange) that said "WWED: smaller cog, go harder".

Chad said...

This late in the season? I would have ridden home in the dirt next to the road. It is the season for dirt and mud and tears.

What happened with the stickers? My Land rover needs something like that.

Phil Evans said...

@stickers: the bike-powered shop in Portland that was to make them couldn't do colors, but said maybe later--so I need to try again.
Land s/rover/shark/, right? ;-) Somewhat related, I'm looking at having some shirts made that have a picture of a bike with the words "burns fat, saves u $" and a picture of a car with the words "burns $, makes u, um, well..." if anyone is interested. About $15 unless I can order a dozen, then it's more like $11.